Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The weird social situation of summer.

This summer has been hard on me.  When I was a SAHM, I had a grove and I would have time with friends that way.  You saw the same people at the gym, the library and the park as they would go at the same time as you.

When I went to school, I lost those friends in a way, meaning I didn't see them everyday.  But, I gain the friendship of those in the graduate program as well were with each other all day while we were in school, did homework together, studied together, etc.  We became somewhat close friends.

Now that I have been out of school for a little over a month and a half, I have lost them too.  I see some of my grad school friends around town, but not consistently like I did.  I miss going out to eat with them almost every Friday and just the adult conversation it brought.

Now, I am home again with my three kids.  And I miss my friends!  With the constant talking and fighting, I really miss my friends.

I am lucky to have found one friend of my with a child about the same age as my kids and once a week with do some adventure seeking together.  She is a teacher, so she misses her friends too!

It is hard to not feel burnt out over the summer when your kids are back home and fighting.  Do you have any advice to give?

7 comments:

  1. We've moved 3 times since I've been a stay at home mom...it was really easy to meet new friends the first two moves because our children were little. I jumped right in and volunteered at vacation bible school and then elementary school. This last move has proved more challenging because my children are teens, and my "volunteer" job has been supervising the renovation of our nearly 100 year old house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a volunteer job! I hope it turns out well and you are enjoying the work.

      Delete
  2. I personally don't have many friends that I meet face to face. I talk to people at church and get to know them but I don't ever hardly go and do things. I am such a hermit and enjoy spending time with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way -- I just want to have a conversation that doesn't end up with "MOM SHE LOOKED AT ME FUNNY!!"
    I took a scrapbooking class at the local rec center--and met a few nice people there one lady I see for coffee every other Tus now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally there with you. I would like to take a class in the summer, but my husband works crazy hours and I never know when he is coming home.

      Delete
  4. Summers were always hard for me too in that respect. You have to make specific plans and dates with your friends to do things. And force yourself;) You'll feel better:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to think I had to keep up with my friends, but since I've realized they could care less, I focused on what is really important - my family. So it's ok because friends will come and go but the memories you have with your children and your loved ones are what really matters.

    ReplyDelete