Thursday, February 23, 2012

The day my world changed

I received official news the other day.  I have known this news for a while, but it was different coming on a piece of paper for some reason.

I was accepted into Grad School.

This really was no surprise to me.  I have good grades, excellent test scores, so as my husband says, "and this is a surprise?"

But this means, my world is going to change.  I have been a stay at home mom for 9 years now.  Through those nine years, I have given birth and raised 3 children and have spent a lot of time with my step son.  Yes, there was things I had to get done in the day, but for the most part, I had a lot of flexibility.  I really wanted to home school my kids for that reason.  But, as I quickly learned, not everyone is meant to home school.  I have loved my time with the kids and trips to the park, the library and errands with them.  I am not ready for this to end.

But, my youngest is going to school next year and I have been given a gift to teach math.  I have know this for a while and a gift that is not shared is a wasted gift.  After years of tutoring high school students, I knew I did not want to go there.  I believe community college is going to be a good fit for me and my family at least in the short term.

So, I need to go back to school to earn my master's.  It is going to be a shock to all of us.

My husband has asked me when I am going to sign my acceptance letter.  I know I should, but in a way, I don't want to.

I know it means an end to the days at the park.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the acceptance!

    I know it will be a change, but I am sure that you will find a way to balance it all--it what moms do best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may mean an end to days at the park. But you can always have a moment in the park. If you give up everything you'll loathe this new opportunity. Just cut back and discover time management- the total opposite of flexibility ;-)

    ReplyDelete